Widowmaker Heart Attack: What you should know
Have you ever heard the term Widowmaker heart attack? As the name suggests, it is a type of heart attack which results from the complete blockage of the LAD or left anterior descending artery. It is due to this very reason that doctors often refer to it as chronic total obstruction or CTO. Heart attack is a serious condition that calls for the need of immediate medical intervention. The best cardiac surgeons in Indore suggest that the problem is usually caused by a blood clot, which can obstruct the flow of blood to the heart, causing the muscle to die. The blockage can also be due to plaque which is more likely to happen in patients with high, unmanaged cholesterol levels. This condition is commonly referred to as atherosclerosis.
The LAD artery serves as a passage for oxygenated blood going towards the heart. Any blockage in it can make the heart stop abruptly. Although not always fatal, a widowmaker heart attack can prove to be life-threatening if treatment is delayed. Treatment for the same is offered at all the best hospitals in Indore.
Looking our for the symptoms
The symptoms of widowmaker heart attack are very much similar to those triggered by any other type of heart attack. These include:
- Persistent chest pain and discomfort
- Pain that radiates towards the shoulder and arm
- Pain that radiates to the neck and jaw
- Abdominal discomfort, which is often confused for heartburn
- Muscular pain in the chest or surrounding areas
- Breathlessness and breathing difficulties
- Sudden bouts of anxiety
- Dizziness and disorientation
- Cold sweats, nausea and fatigue
While cheat pain is a major symptom of heart attack, it is pertinent to note that women can experience all other symptoms without having any chest pain.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms consult the best cardiologist doctor in Indore and get yourself evaluated. Early intervention can help to negate the risks of unnecessary complications.
Who are at a higher risk of developing widowmaker heart attack?
The risks of widowmaker maker heart attack are similar to those of any other heart attack. Lifestyle choices, eating habits and genetic factors can play a significant role. Here are a few risk factors that you should know about:
- Excessive smoking and use of other tobacco products
- Unhealthy body weight, often resulting in obesity
- Unhealthy eating habits with increased amounts of unhealthy fats, processed grains and full-fat dairy products
- Unmanaged hypertension
- High levels of LDL and low levels of HDL in the blood
- Having sugar or diabetes
- Following a sedentary lifestyle
- Certain genetic conditions like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
How can you avoid the problem?
As most of the risk factors associated with a widowmaker heart attack can be easily taken care of, you should focus on making healthy choices beat in terms of your lifestyle or eating habits.
- Avoid using tobacco products. These can damage your arteries. It can be a bit difficult to get rid of the habit initially. Don't shy away from seeking help.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet with the right proportion of all essential nutrients. If you are finding it difficult to plan your meals, you can consult a specialised dietitian to help you with it.
- Keep your hypertension and diabetes under control with regular assessment and medication
- Indulge in activities that keep you moving. Try joining a gym, going out for walks, plan cycling trips.
- Go for regular heart check-ups to keep a track of your heart health. This can help in the detection of early warning signs.
In case of any emergency, contact Vishesh Jupiter experts for unparalleled care and guidance.