When to consult a neurologist?
A neurologist is a specialized medical doctor who focuseson the evaluation, treatment, and management of various neurological problems. They have expertise in various subspecialties of neurology such as sleep medicine, pediatric neurology, brain trauma or injury, neuromuscular medicine, neurocritical care, autonomous disorders, epilepsy and strokes, neurodevelopmental disabilities, and others.People are usually referred to consult a neurologist when they face some issues with their nervous system (central or peripheral), including the brain, nerves, and spinal cord.
A broad range of neurological conditions is addressed by a neurologist by performing various diagnostic tests (such as lumbar puncture, electroencephalogram, electromyography, tensilon test, imaging tests, angiography, genetic testing, and biopsy) and treatment procedures.
Vishesh Jupiter Hospital is one of the best hospitals for neurology treatment in Indore where treatment is provided under the supervision of expert and experienced neurologist. Here are some of the reasons for consulting a neurologist:
- Headache and migraines: Severe and frequent headaches are common neurological problems that require medical attention from a neurologist. When people experiencethrobbing pain in their head persistently for several hours or days along with nausea and sensitivity to the strong smell, noise, and light, it means they have a migraine that needs the right diagnosis and treatment. Only a neurologist can identify the triggers of migraines (most common being stress and food) and help avoid them. A prescribed medication may be given to prevent or stop the occurring of migraines as it begins.
- Neuropathic pain: It is a sharp, burning, or shooting pain felt due to nerve injury caused by either an injury or diabetes. An injury of the brain or spinal cord can also be the reason for neuropathic pain. It can also be felt after a stroke. Generally, common pain relievers cannot treat this pain. A neurologist can help treat it better.
- Brain and spinal cord injury: If an individual has met with a motor vehicle accident, has fallen, or has sports injuries, then the spinal cord or brain might get injured. Depending upon the part of the brain being affected, the symptoms can be seen such as loss of consciousness, dizziness, and seizures. Such injuries can affect the individuals’ way of thinking, their speech, behavior, memory, or their body movements. Injuries to a spinal cord can lead to numbness, weakness, and sometimes no movement below the injury. A neurologist can evaluate the condition of the injured part and plan a customized treatment that includes physical therapy, medications, and mental health therapy.
Vishesh Jupiter Hospital is one of the best neuro hospitals in Indore where treatment for all neurological conditions is provided by experts followed by a test of diagnosis and evaluation of root cause.
- Seizures: These are disturbances in brain activity leading to uncontrolled body movements, sensory issues, or loss of consciousness. A neurologist can help find the cause of seizures by brain imaging and testing and treat accordingly. Some medications that prevent or reduce seizures can be prescribed.
- Multiple Sclerosis: It is a prolonged disorder of the brain and spinal cord that can cause symptoms such as weakness, change in vision, tingling sensations, and numbness. A neurologist can diagnose this neurological condition from the results provided by examining and imaging the brain and spinal cord and plan the best treatment for the patient. Many medications can be prescribed to relieve its symptoms.
- Serious memory issues: If people are unable to remember things that they have done a few minutes back, it means they are suffering from serious memory problems that are affecting their life quality. Thus there are some changes in a part of the brain associated with memory and thinking that are leading to dementia (most common is Alzheimer’s disease). A neurologist can help determine the source of the problem by performing a complete neurological exam including brain scans and different memory and thinking tests. In the case of dementia, some drugs can slow down the progress of the disease and provide relief from restlessness or anxiety.
- Stroke: When a part of the brain is not receiving blood supply, it results in a stroke due to the death of brain cells. It could be caused by a blockage in the blood vessels or internal bleeding of the brain. A person having a stroke will suddenly have numbness and weakness on one side of the body, loss of vision, severe headache, loss of body balance, or confusion. Neurologists can scan the brain and treat strokes as it is happening. They can provide medications to dissolve blood clots if it is a blocked blood vessel.
- Parkinson’s disease: It includes symptoms like stiff or slow body movement, trembling, and clumsiness which are caused by an absence of dopamine due to loss of brain cells producing it. A neurosurgeon can carry out a thorough neurological exam, prescribe the best medications, and suggest treatments like deep brain stimulation.
To know more about the treatments related to neurological diseases and concerns contact with the Best neuro doctor in Indore at Vishesh Jupiter Hospital.