Brain Tumor: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
A brain tumor is a clump of atypical cells that can reside in any part of the brain. The abnormal mass of brain tissue can either be benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous). When the brain tumors grow in size they can exert more pressure on the inside of the skull which can lead to brain damage, a life-threatening situation.
It can be classified into two types based on their origin i.e. primary or secondary. A primary brain tumor stems from the brain itself whereas a secondary brain tumor (metastatic and malignant tumors) arises from other organ cancers such as lungs, kidney, skin, and breast cancer.
Symptoms of brain tumor:
Every person will show a different sign and symptom of a tumor because of differences in the size and location of the tumor. Sometimes, people may not have any symptoms when a brain tumor is discovered in them. Noticeable symptoms can be observed when pressure is put on the brain tissues due to the growth of a brain tumor. Some of the common symptoms include:
Headaches: The person may have frequent headaches that worsen while sleeping when waking up in the morning, or due to sneezing, coughing, and doing exercises. These headaches are usually not relieved by normal pain relievers.
- Seizures (mainly in adults)
- Double or blurred vision
- Personality changes
- Poor body balance and coordination
- Trouble speaking and comprehending
- Weakness, tingling sensation, or numbness of a part of face or limb
- Short-term memory loss
- Vertigo or dizziness
- Uncontrolled bladder or bowel movements
- Changes in behavior, mood, and emotions
- Difficulty walking
- Loss of consciousness or reduced ability to be alert
- Hearing problems
The brain tumor surgeon in Indore starts the diagnosis of brain tumors by looking for neurological symptoms, the overall health of the patient, and the personal or family history of having brain tumors. Next, the doctor carries out a thorough physical examination of the patient including a neurological exam. In the exam, the doctor may put the light directly into the patient eyes to check for the pupil response and see if there is any inflammation of the optic nerve. The doctor may also evaluate coordination, memory, problem-solving ability, and muscle strength. If the patient is suspected to have a brain tumor, the doctor would recommend the following tests:
- Imaging tests like Brain MRI and Brain CT scan to get a detailed view of the inside of the brain and check if the cranial nerves are intact. It can help detect and identify the type of brain tumor.
- Magnetic resonance angiography or simple angiography makes use of dyes that travels in the brain arteries to look at the brain tumors.
- X-rays of the skull or blood vessels in the brain
- Biopsy test to examine the small piece of the tumor and identify its type: benign or malignant.
The best doctors in Indore consider various factors before deciding the treatment plan as the brain tumor treatment depends upon the size, type, location, and extent of spread of the tumor as well as the overall health of the individual and potential health complications.
- The very first option to treat a brain tumor soon after its diagnosis is brain tumor surgery. It is the most effective way to get rid of the tumor as much as possible without damaging the healthy brain parts. Some brain tumors are located in a place that allows easy removal while sometimes surgery becomes challenging.
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy (i.e. gamma knife therapy) can be carried out for brain tumors whose removal is difficult by surgery. These therapies can stop the spread of brain tumors by shrinking or killing the abnormal brain cells. Both of the treatments may also be performed after brain tumor surgery to get rid of cancerous brain cells.
- After having surgery or any therapies, rehabilitation is necessary. This could help the patient to recover soon from the treatment.
Rehabilitation usually involves:
- Speech therapies to make the person speak, improve swallowing, or express thoughts.
- Physical therapies to recover from the lost muscle strength and body balance.
- Occupational therapies to help the patient manage routine physical activities like dressing, using the bathroom, and bathing.
Vishesh Jupiter Hospital is the best multispecialty hospital where the treatment for spine and brain tumors is performed by the renowned brain tumor and spine surgeons in Indore.
It is the best hospital for spine surgery in Indore equipped with world-class spine tumor treatment facilities and treatment is provided by a team of neuro and spine surgeons, medical oncologists to deliver the best outcome to the patient. Schedule an appointment now!